Nothing says Southern comfort food like cheese and potatoes. Cheesy sausage and potato casserole is a favorite on cold winter nights at our house. The original recipes calls for several pounds of peeled, diced potatoes, followed by 45 minutes in the oven.
But I'm a working mom. By the time I spend 8-9 hours seeing patients, the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is spending an hour peeling potatoes. I tweaked the recipe and developed a quick version of this comfort classic. My family can't get enough of it, and I can have it in the oven in 20 minutes.
- Smoked sausage, 1 lb. (I use a local company's smoked sausage ring, either beef or green onion)
- Frozen diced hash browns, 2 lb.
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 c. milk
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Thaw hash browns in microwave safe bowl (3-4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds) - pour into 9x13 baking dish when finished
- Slice and brown sausage; drain
- Mix milk, soup, paprika, salt, and pepper until well blended
- Pour milk/soup mixture over hash browns; stir well.
- Top potatoes with sausage and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes