Monday, June 11, 2012

Letting Go of Pefect

I had an epiphany this week – in Wal-Mart, of all places.  Wal-Mart usually inspires a lot of thoughts, most of which I can’t put on my blog because I’m a pastor’s wife.  But this time was different.

I went in to pick up a couple of things and look for another notebook.  I’ve been struggling to find the perfect notebook – small enough for my purse but big enough to really write and not just take notes, durable enough to get tossed around a lot, cute enough to look cutesy and artsy when I pull it pull out of my bag.  I was getting really frustrated because I just couldn’t find what I was looking for, and I started to walk away. 
Then it hit me, in the aisle between bottled water and office supplies.  ‘Why does it have to be perfect?  Just write.’  I waste so much time waiting for “perfect” – the perfect time, the perfect place, the perfect notebook and everything else.  Why?  Blogging isn’t about being perfect.  It’s about being me.  It’s about finding my unique voice and letting it out.  It’s about sharing my crazy journey through life with all the ups and downs and battles.  It’s about hiding in the bathroom to write this in my notebook because if I leave, everyone will need something right now.  (Please tell me I’m not the only one who has to do this!)

I’ve been thinking and praying and agonizing over creating my “perfect” blog lately.  Now I’m letting go of perfect, and I’m embracing me.  My voice.  My quirky sense of humor. My scattered brain.  My occasional sarcasm.   My mess.  Real, imperfect me.

1 comment:

  1. So, so true. The search for perfection is never ending...and so I've learned to embrace being real, with all the ebbs and flows. It's much more fun!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!