Missions is a huge focus of our children's ministry. I firmly believe that if we instill a passion for missions now, when our kids are young, it will stay with them for life. On the first Sunday of each month, we dedicate our entire lesson to missions, focusing on a specific country and the work being done there. We have a snack from that country and hear a true story from missionaries there.
Two amazing resources that I use every month are BGMC and Kids of Courage. BGMC (Boys and Girls Missionary Challenge) is the Assembly of God kids missions program. Kids all over the U.S. regularly give to missions through this program. Not only does it get kids involved in giving, it also teaches them to have a heart for missions. Kids of Courage is the kids portion of Voice of the Martyrs. They focus on countries where Christians are persecuted for their faith, but they present the information in a kid-friendly format. Both websites are full of great ideas!
Getting involved in missions may seem intimidating, but there are so many simple ways to do it. A few ideas to get started:
- Choose a missionary that your church supports and send them a care package and a note of encouragement.
- Pack a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child
- Choose a country from Kids of Courage to study together as a family
- Set a goal as a family to give a certain amount of money for missions, then work together to earn it
- Post a map somewhere in your home and pray for a different country each day