Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chills: A True Story

I'm branching out again today on my blog and linking up with Studio 30 Plus.  I usually link fiction (like Love: A Very Short Story), but this time I'm linking up a true story of an event that changed the way I look at life...


Something was very wrong. A chill crept over me as I stood, staring at the ominous way the light refracted through the glass…the broken glass of a locked door, in the building where I stood alone. Or did I? My heart started pounding as I realized that the break in had occurred recently, within the two hours or so since I had last stood here – which meant those responsible might still be inside.

Adrenaline was suddenly racing through my veins. The first thought running through my head: call my husband, who was next door, and pray my phone could get in a signal in the huge metal building – at least if someone hit me over the head, he would know I was there. My second thought – get out. The only problem was that every door required a key to unlock it from the inside, a key I didn’t have. There were only two ways out for me, and both were on the other side of the building. I made a mad dash for the one I had come in through, fear pulsing through my body.

I raced back out the way I’d come, now seeing the evidence of a break in that I had overlooked – the overturned boxes, the open doors that should have been closed, the lights turned on. My husband was already in the parking lot, running to meet me as he called 911. We waited outside, shaken to the core.

The police came quickly, and caught the would-be burglar, empty-handed and still on the property. He was arrested - so high the police said he’d probably never even remember the events of that afternoon. The police later found out that I was the one who scared him off – he was in the building as I entered, but ran when he heard me, hiding on the property until his arrest.

He may not remember, but I will never forget. I’m really good at playing “what if” – a talent that comes in pretty handy when you want to write, but no so great when you face a terrifying experience. I’ve played the game a thousand times since that day, thinking through all the nightmares that could have come true. Even though it happened more than six years ago, I still remember every time I go into that building.

That single event, spanning just a few minutes on an otherwise normal day, changed me. I’m much more cautious now and aware of my surroundings at all times. I have a concealed handgun license and routinely carry my gun (a Sig Sauer, in case you’re wondering). I’m never without my cell phone. I won't walk blindly into a situation like that again if I can help it. And every time I think of it – even after six years – it still gives me chills.

4 comments:

  1. That's absolutely petrifying. I'm so glad you got back out. It gives ME the chills to think of you coming upon him and scaring him off. I'm glad he pulled a runner and not something awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. Do you have any idea how fast i read this story? The what-if game is one thing when dealing with a sane person, but one who is so high? The what-ifs are endless!

    Glad you kept your wits about you, and did the best thing you could have done. Great story, fiction or not, glad you shared it. And besides, our prompts aren't always about fiction... Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very scary. I'm glad everything turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, way to show courage in the midst of panic. You're a brave woman. I have a concealed carry too, partly because my mind plays that "What if" game too. And sometimes "what if" happens...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!