Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Daddy's Hands


Isa 42:6a   (NASB) "I am the LORD, I have called You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You...

There it is again - Jesus' hand. That nail scared hand, the one I am inscribed on; the hand that's reaching out to me, holding onto me, never letting me go. I've seen it in my Bible study over and over again lately, constant reminders that He is always with me.


When I was nineteen, I faced a minor outpatient surgery - I had to have my wisdom teeth removed by an oral surgeon. It's not a big deal, but I'd never had surgery before, and I was allergic to almost every antibiotic known to man. I didn't know how I would handle being put to sleep, and I was nervous. One night at a college ministry meeting, eyes closed in prayer, I suddenly saw a big, strong, scarred hand reach out and take my right hand, holding it tight. The picture was crystal clear. I've never had an experience like it, before or since, but in that moment, I knew that I was secure in my Father's hands. Honestly, I had been there all along. I just needed a reminder.

There have been many moments since when all I could do was cling to my Daddy's hand: when we faced complications with our youngest son before he was born; when he decided to make his appearance a month early and spent days in the NICU; when close friends betrayed us; when the future was uncertain; when I watched a family member's marriage begin to crumble. Each time, when I faced a battle completely out of my hands, I learned to cling a little tighter to His hand.

Holding onto my Daddy's hand means more than just safety, though. It means focusing on the here and now instead of looking ahead into the unknown. It means trusting Jesus when I can't see the path ahead. It means knowing that He already knows every step, and He will walk it with me.

Psa 73:23    Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand.

When I put myself completely in His hands, I have peace, true peace that only comes from God. I have healing, forgiveness, and a Father who will never, ever leave.

I know He's still holding on. I'm inscribed on His hands. He's my Daddy, my Abba, and He's not letting go. He promised.

2 comments:

  1. God is talking to me. God is here. He knows my thought. He reminds me in HIS mighty hands. He will do great things in my life. I love you Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. "..by a strong hand.." Exodus 6:1

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!