Monday, January 13, 2014

Find Your Journaling Style


Last week, I shared some of the benefits I've found through journaling. It's a great way to take your walk with God to the next level. But how do you start? The first thing you'll need to do is decide what type of journal you want.

Journaling styles are as varied as the people who create them. No two people think, write or create exactly the same way. I have several friends who journal, and each of us has our own unique style.

1. Written Journal
This is what most people think of when you mention journaling. My friend Amy provides great examples of journaling on Instagram. If you want some serious inspiration, follow her at http://instagram.com/amyhale#


Amy does Bible studies through She Reads Truth. She posts great insights from her studies, as well as her 1000 Gifts lists and other journals. You will love the inspiration she shares!

2. Smash Book
This is my personal favorite, and it's the style my own journal is in. A smash book is basically an "anything goes" kind of journal. Sometimes I write, sometimes I glue in photos or quotes that are meaningful to me, sometimes I keep lists. It's a combination of many things - a form of simplified scrapbooking.

Here are a couple of examples from my own journal:



3. Scrapbook
Scrapbooking takes the smash book idea to the next level, making it more artistic. A great place to start is Courtney Walsh's blog, where she shares a lot about scrapbooking your faith. 

4. Art Journal
An art journal can take many forms - drawing, painting, photography. My friend Hope has some beautiful examples from her own art journals on her Flickr account. You can check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hopewilbanks/sets/

What style are you drawn to the most? Your journal doesn't have to fall into just one category. You can mix and match several styles. That's part of the beauty of it - your journal is your own, as individual and unique as you. 

6 comments:

  1. If you could see my nightstand...I have three journals and a day book. It's quite the addiction I have. I paste in special quotes, pictures, scripture, anything to keep me in the mind of prayer. I loved this post!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great!!! I used to journal a lot but got out of the habit. I think it's something I really should start up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my smash books still, though I use them for memory keeping not journaling. I have a journal problem because I start them all the time (one for prayers, one for personal journaling, one for Bible study journaling), and then when I can't find the one I'm looking for I just grab the one closest at use it. That means I have a bunch of jumbled up journals that are hard to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I used to do the same thing. I finally combined all my journaling into one book. I'm sharing a post tomorrow about how my own journaling style works - I'd love for you to check it out!

      Delete
  4. I have wanted to start an art journal but haven't. My journaling is a little crazy. Some I will do on my computer and other times, I will do it with pen and paper or notebook. However the mood strikes. I do think journaling is so important. It can really help us remember and see how God is moving in our lives. We have history, written down. We need that. Our children will someday want it. It can be very healing as well.

    Visiting from our new tribe on SITS. Looking forward to getting to know you more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda
    I love your blog and is happy to be visiting from our new tribe on SITS. Looking forward to getting to know you as we share and support each other along on this journey. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!