Friday, February 27, 2015

Easy Cheesy Sausage Potato Casserole


Nothing says Southern comfort food like cheese and potatoes. Cheesy sausage and potato casserole is a favorite on cold winter nights at our house. The original recipes calls for several pounds of peeled, diced potatoes, followed by 45 minutes in the oven.

But I'm a working mom. By the time I spend 8-9 hours seeing patients, the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is spending an hour peeling potatoes. I tweaked the recipe and developed a quick version of this comfort classic. My family can't get enough of it, and I can have it in the oven in 20 minutes.

Ingredients:
  • Smoked sausage, 1 lb. (I use a local company's smoked sausage ring, either beef or green onion)
  • Frozen diced hash browns, 2 lb.
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/8 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper



Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Thaw hash browns in microwave safe bowl (3-4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds) - pour into 9x13 baking dish when finished
  • Slice and brown sausage; drain
  • Mix milk, soup, paprika, salt, and pepper until well blended
  • Pour milk/soup mixture over hash browns; stir well.
  • Top potatoes with sausage and cheddar cheese.
  • Bake for 45 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!