Monday, February 17, 2014

Creating a Selah Space

You probably already have a "place" for your Bible study and prayer, a place where you daily meet with God. But do you have a "space" for it? Even if you have limited room, you can create a "Selah space" - a place to pause, listen, and reflect on God's Word each day.

1. Find a workable space.
What works is different for everyone. It depends on your home, yours and your family's schedules, and what makes you comfortable. Some people have an office area. Others like the kitchen table, so they can spread out their notebooks and study supplies. When my husband and I first got married, we lived in a huge 3,000 square foot parsonage and I used our double walk-in closet for my quiet time. Now we own our own (smaller) home, and I spend my mornings with God on our living room couch. I don't wake anyone up, it's comfy, and I have space to sprawl out and work.

2. Gather your supplies.
Get everything you need for your quiet time and put it all together. This can be anything from your Bible, journal, and pens, to a blanket and a candle. Whatever you need to be cozy and spend time with God, take it to your space. For me, it's my Bible, journal, Sharpie pens, colored pencils, sticky notes, and my favorite blanket.

3. Contain your supplies.
This doesn't have to be anything fancy. Grab a pretty basket or your favorite tote bag and stash your Bible, your favorite journal, your Bible reading plan, and whatever else you need. I found this beautiful little Paris trunk at Ross for $11.00. Since I'm kind of obsessed with Paris and it matched our living room decor, I bought it. It sits at the end of our couch. It's the perfect size for my Bible study stash, and I'm not digging for my Bible in the dark at 5:00 a.m.


4. Decorate.
Keep it simple. Throw a couple of decorative pillows on the couch. Put a candle out. Frame printables of your favorite verses. Take a few minutes to make your space your own.

With a few minutes of prep time, you can create a quiet, welcoming place to meet with God. It's a perfect motivator for spending time with Him.

(And if you're looking for accountability in your quiet time, sign-ups for Hello Mornings are now open! You can join my CST Twitter group, Morning Grace, or find a group that meets your needs on the main page. Just create a free account and you're ready to find a group.)

7 comments:

  1. AMANDA! I ran up on your blog this evening! It just blessed me so much! I love this subject, time with God & journaling! All of these recent posts are just fabulous! Thankyou for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my 'cozy corner' and I love it :). I love the idea of having a candle...I'll have to do add that to my routine, because I really love candles and quiet and time alone with God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is speaking to me lately. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Helen! You're such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My practical side loves this, Amanda. Thank you for these good ideas...and for calling it the "Selah Space." Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a container for it all, my quiet time "equipment" seems to sprawl all throughout the house.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!